Just in time for Christmas, on December 11 Criterion is releasing the Qatsi Trilogy (Koyaanisqatsi, Powaqqatsi, Naqoyqatsi) on DVD and Blu-Ray. New transfers and extras abound. For those who remember what a challenge it used to be to find even Koyaanisqatsi on VHS, such availability makes me downright gleeful. I recall in college, paying $81 for a used VHS online. Probably within the same year, in a late night spending spree, I "participated in a fundraising effort" at Qatsi.org to buy a director autographed DVD of the film (splitting it with a friend) for $180, knowing that I was one of the few in the world to have a digital copy of the film. Only in late 2002 did Koyaanisqatsi and Powaqqatsi make it to DVD being released by MGM.
The Criterion Elements:
- New, restored high-definition digital transfers of all three films, approved by director Godfrey Reggio, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks on the Blu-ray editions
- Essence of Life, an interview program with Reggio and composer Philip Glass on Koyaanisqatsi
- New interview with cinematographer Ron Fricke about Koyaanisqatsi
- Early forty-minute demo version of Koyaanisqatsi with a scratch soundtrack by Allen Ginsberg, along with a new introduction by Reggio
- New interview with Reggio about Koyaanisqatsi’s original visual concept, with behind-the-scenes footage
- Impact of Progress, an interview program with Reggio and Glass on their collaboration
- Inspiration and Ideas, an interview with Reggio about his greatest influences and teachers
- Anima Mundi (1992), Reggio’s twenty-eight-minute montage of images of over seventy animal species, scored by Glass
- Video afterword by Reggio on the trilogy
- The Making of “Naqoyqatsi,” a brief documentary featuring interviews with the production crew
- Panel discussion on Naqoyqatsi from 2003, with Reggio, Glass, editor Jon Kane, and music critic John Rockwell
- Music of “Naqoyqatsi,” an interview with Glass and cellist Yo-Yo Ma
- Television spots and an interview with Reggio relating to his 1970s multimedia privacy campaign in New Mexico
- PLUS: A booklet featuring essays on the
trilogy by film scholar Scott MacDonald, Rockwell, and author and
environmentalist Bill McKibben
3 thoughts on “Criterion Qatsi”
This is absolutely fantastic news!
Dear Santa, I have been a very very good boy…..